Please note that the current coronavirus pandemic may affect the way these services are operating. Please contact the individual services for more information.

Mental health - mild to moderate (adults)

What is available?

Primary Health Tasmania has commissioned a range of providers to offer psychological therapy services for people with mild to moderate mental illness who are not clinically suited to lower intensity levels of intervention.

Services are provided by:

  • registered and clinical psychologists
  • mental health nurses
  • occupational therapists
  • social workers
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers.

Short-term psychological interventions of up to 12 sessions of care are available under this service.

Who is eligible?

  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
  • culturally and linguistically diverse people
  • people who have self-harmed or are at heightened risk of suicide
  • women at risk of perinatal depression
  • people experiencing or at high risk of homelessness
  • carers with a diagnosis of mental illness
  • people who are less able to pay fees for other psychological services
  • those unable to access other funded and private psychological services (rural and remote).

Cornerstone Youth Services and The Link Youth Health Service:

These providers operate services in the categories above for young adults (18 to 25).

Where is it available?

These services are available statewide, with the following providers operating in each region:

  • North west: Psychology Caffe, Cornerstone Youth Services
  • North: The Crawley Clinic, Cornerstone Youth Services
  • South: The Link Youth Health Service (Sorell and Brighton local government areas only), The Crawley Clinic

Not all services are physically delivered in every local community, but eligible people in the areas indicated have access to the services either face-to-face or through other means such as phone support. Speak to the service providers (below) for more information.

Who can make a referral?

Referrals can be made from a GP with a mental health treatment plan, or referral letter written by a psychiatrist or paediatrician.

How much does it cost?

This service is free to eligible people, where service capacity exists. 

I need help now. Where should I go?

Please note: Primary Health Tasmania does not deliver health services or crisis/emergency support. 

Your regular doctor should always be your first point of call if you need medical or mental health care.

  • In an emergency, call Triple 0 (000) for Ambulance, Fire or Police
  • For information about health services open at night, public holidays and weekends, go to: or call healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222.

The following helplines are also available for urgent assistance:

  • Mental Health Services Helpline 1800 332 388
  • Lifeline Crisis Help 13 11 14
  • Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
  • Drug and Alcohol Counselling (after hours) 1800 811 994
  • Poison Information Centre 13 11 26.

Who provides the service?

  • Psychology Caffe
    03 6426 3050
  • The Crawley Clinic
    03 6331 0577
  • The Link Youth Health Service
    03 6231 2927
  • Cornerstone Youth Services
    03 6335 3100