Chronic health conditions - rural areas (south)

Primary Health Tasmania has commissioned three organisations to support people living with chronic health conditions in rural areas of southern Tasmania.

Diabetes Tasmania provides diabetes education and support services, as well as support for GPs and other health care providers delivering diabetes care. Read more here.

Corumbene Care supports people living in certain areas with circulatory and heart disease, lung disease, and musculoskeletal disorders. Read more below.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service Tasmania supports people living in the Huon Valley and Tasman areas and on Bruny Island who have chronic congestive heart disease, obstructive pulmonary disease, obstructive airways disease, musculoskeletal conditions and mild mental health conditions.

What is available?

Corumbene Care provides:

  • care coordination services - health literacy, education and self-management support to help people understand and manage their chronic condiitons and access appropriate services
  • individual and group exercise programs (allied health)
  • telemonitoring service – to monitor blood sugar levels, temperature, blood pressure, weight and respiratory function.

Royal Flying Doctor Service Tasmania provides:

  • individual and group exercise programs (allied health)
  • access to low-intensity mental health supports.

Who is eligible?

People living with:

  • cardiovascular disease (CVD)
  • chronic lung disease (including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma)
  • mild mental health conditions (for eligibility to the Royal Flying Doctor Service's low-intensity supports only)
  • musculoskeletal conditions.

Where is it available?

The Corumbene Care service is available to people living in the following rural local government areas: Central Highlands, Derwent Valley, and Southern Midlands. 

The Royal Flying Doctor Service is available to people living in the following rural local government areas: Huon Valley, Kingborough (Bruny Island only) and Tasman.

Not all services are physically delivered in every local community, but eligible people in the areas indicated have access to the services either face-to-face or through other means such as phone support. Speak to the service providers (below) for more information.

Go to this page to see where diabetes education and support services are available.  

Who can make a referral?

Referrals for either provider can be accepted from any source including from a GP, specialist or self-referral.

How much does it cost?

There is no cost to register for either program. However, there may be some associated telephone costs if the telemonitoring service is used.

Is there a related Tasmanian HealthPathway?

Yes. Health professionals can log in to the Tasmanian HealthPathways portal and search for available pathways for Mental Health, Cardiology, COPD and Cognitive Impairment and Dementia.

Who provides the service?

  • Corumbene
    03 6261 7327
  • Royal Flying Doctor Service Tasmania
    03 6391 0500